ROSE RAMBLER 17.02.2017 …
Hello dear rose friends … hope you enjoyed Valentine’s Day and were gifted a rose from the love in your life! We were busier in the nursery than in past years – lots of flowering, potted roses were delivered as GIFT ROSES and rightly so!
GRA’S GARBLE …
First a joke: Q. How do chickens get strong? A. Egg-cersize and a picture of my chickens who are growing madly while they rip and tear around the pen –
They’re incredible time-wasters because they are such entertaining viewing! Do make time to visit with them when you visit in coming weeks.
Since we only have less than two weeks of summer, start gearing up to complete the following tasks to ensure prolific flowering roses throughout autumn and well into winter.
- Fertilize all rose bushes – we prefer you use organic fertilizer like our pelletised Complete Organic Fertilizer with balanced N:P:K and trace elements – it doesn’t smell since it’s well processed and loaded with humates; if you cannot purchase our fertilizer, go to your local garden centre and ask for their highly recommended organic product and follow the application rates – usually one handful per square metre!
- If you haven’t been pruning throughout summer flowering, now would be ideal timing to remove approximately one-third of growth whilst retaining good foliage cover just in case we get more hot weather! Continue dead-heading through autumn for continual bloom right up into winter.
- Treat the roses to an application of the organic rose management spray:
To 10 litres of water add:
- ¼ cup ECO ROSE FUNGICIDE
- ¼ cup ECO OIL INSECTICIDE/STICKER
- 1 TEASPOON ECO SEAWEED POWDER (or use your choice of seaweed product – powder seaweed is extremely economical because you’re not buying water!
(Just $32.50 for 600g which makes 6,000 litres of solution – all products available in our online store: www.rosesalesonline.com.au).
- MIX ALL THE PRODUCTS TOGETHER in a bucket and spray over roses until run-off to retain healthy foliage.
- Mulch again if needed – keeping a good thick layer of mulch over the garden will retain warm soil temperature throughout autumn and into winter so rose foliage will be maintained … remember: MORE HEALTHY FOLIAGE, MORE FLOWERS!
- When you can’t figure out what else to do, it’s time for a nap! Sssshhhhhh!
No matter where this rose grows, it is a grand flowerer on a sturdy, extremely healthy foliaged bush – when you drive past a country-town CFA and see a brilliant orange flowering rose you can bet it’s this beauty! Very highly recommended rose …
It might seem I’m bragging but so many customers who grow my lovely, award-winning beauty extol it’s virtues of extreme fragrance on a healthy, very free-flowering low maintenance shrub which is perfect as a border and in a large tub …
This rose is WOW … perfectly shaped HT blooms on long stems, extremely healthy busy to 1.5 metres tall, awesome fragrance – a truly magnificent Gold Medal Winner in the National Rose Trial Grounds … every Aussie should grow one and we’ll have plenty available this winter …
ONLINE ORDERING FOR WINTER / BARE-ROOTED ROSES …
Meantime, continue ordering potted roses at www.rosesalesonline.com.au so that you can autumn-plant flowering roses whilst planting your winter-flowering bulbs in the same bed and enjoy INSTANT GARDENING pleasure!
Autumn is truly the most spectacular planting season as the roses settle well before light winter pruning and are beautifully well-established plants for spring flowering this year!
See you soon at Clonbinane… Graham, Diana, Mooi and assistant Tova.